ADRIAN BOOYSEN communiTgrow - Director
22 years experience: Finance, Business Strategist, Deal Structuring, Entrepreneur
Adrian’s experience locally and internationally in business strategy and development, corporate modelling, capital and transaction structuring. His career experience started with Alexander Forbes Consultants and Actuaries, and since then has successfully fulfilled his ambitions as a serial entrepreneur, establishing successful business across the EU and South Africa. Spanning business sectors, he has advised business globally, and has traded extensively in commodities. Adrian specializes in complex business models and financing transactions across multiple industry sectors, and has spent a significant amount of time advising high-level clients, on a discretionary basis, on strategy, capital structuring and raising, navigating challenges and risk analysis.
GITA GOVEN communiTgrow - Chairperson
33 years experience: Architect, Urban Planning & Design, Co-founder of communiTgrow
Gita is one of South Africa’s foremost sustainability thinkers, Architect and Sustainable Design practitioners. As founding partner and CEO of ARG Design, she has pioneered a practice of socially and environmentally transformative design.
Gita completed her Bachelor of Architecture in 1986 at University of Cape Town and has worked on sustainable design and development projects since 1981.Gita is one of South Africa’s foremost sustainability thinkers. As founding partner and CEO of ARG Design, she has pioneered a practice of socially and environmentally transformative design. She currently chairs the team of the Wescape integrated whole systems regenerative settlement design project and communiTigrow.
She is a co-initiator of the IP development for Wescape and communiTgrow. She co-edited a book, 2 Billion Strong: A Regenerative Solution to Building Sustainable African Cities which outlines an innovative whole-systems approach to city-making with an emphasis on inclusive economic sustainability, housing, education, health, governance and regenerative urban systems in the context of rapid urbanisation in sub-Saharan Africa.Gita leads the cross-disciplinary work in ARG Design, and is responsible for research, design integration, marketing, building networks and partnerships for the delivery of sustainable innovation through projects.Landmark projects include Lynedoch Ecovillage and the Wolwekloof Youth Academy, Philippi Phased Urban Development Framework and Small Town Regeneration strategies in the Eastern Cape.
Green Building Projects:
- Lynedoch Community Centre
- Tsoga Environmental Centre
- Football for Hope Centre
Competition winning entries not built are:
- WSSD Exhibition Centre
- De Beers Micro Diamond Facility
- AEON UCT
- SANCCOB Centre
ALASTAIR RENDALL communiTgrow - Director
33 years experience: Architect, City & Town Planning, Co-founder of communiTgrow
Alastair is a founding partner of ARG Design. He completed his Bachelor of Architecture at the University of Cape Town in 1985 and a Master of City Planning and Urban Design in 1989.
His combination of private practice and NGO experience has been brought to bear on the delivery of high-quality public projects that win community, client and public acceptance. Alastair is a founding partner of ARG Design, one of South Africa’s leading firms designing sustainable solutions for the built environment. ARG’s work is both visionary and practical, recognising that sustainability is about more than buildings – it includes the people and institutions who inhabit and use them. ARG’s goal is to redefine sustainable human settlement design in Africa through innovative, inspirational work that is grounded in the realities of local communities, environments, economies, institutions and capacities.He has co-edited a book, 2 Billion Strong: A Regenerative Solution to Building Sustainable African Cities which outlines an innovative whole- systems approach to city-making.
Green Building Projects:
- Lynedoch Community Centre,
- Tsoga Environmental Centre
- Football for Hope Centre
Competition winning entries not built are:
- WSSD Exhibition Centre
- De Beers Micro Diamond Facility
- AEON UCT.
Public Transport is a significant theme in ARG’s practice, culminating in the firm’s appointment to design the stations for Cape Town’s Integrated Rapid Transit (IRT) system, the city’s most important public transport development since the railway lines were built in the early 1900’s, and the BRT stations for Rustenburg, City of Ekurhuleni and eThekwini (Durban).
Through 31 years of engagement with informal settlements in the Western Cape, as founder of Development Action Group (DAG) and as a Professional Consultant, Alastair has developed an ability to engage with Urban Development across all scales and typologies.Recent City scale projects include Somerset Precinct 260,000m2 on 10Ha next to Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Conradie Better Living Model - 250,000m2 on 22Ha in Pinelands, Cape Town and Mupine, an Affordable Rental scheme of 700 units on 7,3Ha.
GERRIT HEYNS (American / Dutch) communiTgrow - Director
31 years experience: Emerging Markets & Sustainability Investment Asset Manager
Gerrit is a co-founder of Osmosis Investment Management, the London-based market leader in resource efficiency. Osmosis is focused on economic value creation in an environment of accelerating resource constraint. As an investment management firm, Osmosis manages money for institutional investors and asset owners across Europe and the United States. Gerrit was named one of the top 50 people influencing global finance in 2013 by the Institute of Chartered Accountants for his contribution to resource efficiency in finance at Osmosis. His vision is an investment community that channels capital in a manner, which promotes current value creation without diminishing future opportunity.Prior to co-founding Osmosis in 2009, Gerrit spent more than 20 years in the Far East and Russia building and managing emerging market equity sales desks for global investment banks. He holds a BS in Finance from Louisiana State University and a M.Phil. in International Finance from Glasgow University.Gerrit is a member of several industry organisations and actively writes and speaks on resource efficiency, sustainability and climate change with respect to finance and investment.
RALPH FREESE communiTgrow - Director
35 years experience: Professional Business Leader, Social Activist & Impact Investor
Ralph was born on the Cape Flats, educated by diverse teachers, and has served as Chairman and Director on numerous Boards of Developmental NGO’s of the Arts, Housing and Financial as well that of ‘for profit’ businesses. He enjoys complex processes and reads widely.He is a Fellow of the inaugural class of the African Leadership Initiative-South Africa and a member of the Aspen Global Leadership Network.
Please view full bio at www.ralphfreese.co.za
35 years experience: Accountant, Director of JSE Listed Property Companies
Jalal has been involved in commercial property for over 25 years. Jalal joined Seeff Trust (Pty) Limited, the forerunner to the Spearhead Property Group in 1993 as the Financial Manager after leaving PKF Chartered Accountants and Auditors. He was appointed a Director of Brait Property Services (Pty) Limited in 1997.Early 1999 he was appointed Chief Financial Officer and Company Secretary of the newly listed Spearhead Property Holdings Limited which he co-founded. He was responsible for all aspects of company accounting, including managing the accounting department, preparing budgets, managing cash flow, funding requirements, debt structuring, annual financial and interim reports, taxation & audit functions, company secretarial duties and complying with JSE listing requirements. He also served on the investment committee of Spearhead Property Holdings Limited.
2007 - Present:
- Lead Independent Director – Spear Reit Limited (JSE Listed Company)
- Financial Director - Emarie Campbell Real Estate Pty Limited t/a Pam Golding Properties Financial
- Director - Big Bay Beach Estates Pty Limited t/a Pam Golding Properties
- Non Executive Director - Syfrets Property Brokers Pty Limited
1999 – 2007:
- Chief Financial Officer – Spearhead Property Holdings Limited (JSE Listed Company)
1997 – 1999
- Brait Properties Pty Limited
ANTONIE VAN WYK
22 years experience: Attorney - Specialist: Tax, Property & Transaction Structuring
BA LL.B. LL.M. (Corporate Law) H. Dip. Tax. The LL.M. degree covered company law, securities law, partnership law, close corporations law and law of trusts.
Antonie was admitted as an attorney in 1995 and became a director of Danie Erasmus & Partners Inc, a top boutique tax and commercial firm, shortly thereafter. At the time his work included mergers and acquisitions, tax litigation, business restructuring, international tax law, trust law, general commercial drafting, financial structures.
Whilst he was in practice he was a lecturer for the Law Society’s Continuing Legal Education tax programme and a guest lecturer for UCT’s LL.M. elective on international tax law. He left practice in 2000 to become a director of Catalyst Property Finance (Pty) Ltd, a property structured finance business. He was instrumental in the design and implementation of a Dutch- based international tax structure. He gained in-depth experience in financial modelling during his time in the structured finance industry.
In 2003 he joined Nedbank Corporate Property Finance in Cape Town as a Senior Manager, where he served in the key clients team (high-net worth individuals, listed property funds and large developers). He was the Cape Town lead for the arranging of finance for the One & Only Hotel development at the V&A Waterfront.
Antonie left Nedbank in 2004 to help form a new property development company, which successfully developed an office complex and a number of residential units. He has since been actively involved in the development of industrial properties, as well as the hands-on management of a property portfolio, including lease negotiations and facilities management.
Antonie has decided to combine his practical business experience with his legal training by joining forces with Mandy Simpson, a senior and respected litigation attorney.This step allows Antonie to remain at the cutting edge of high-level property development by honing his technical commercial, tax and property development law skills in both business and in practice. Antonie is a skilled negotiator and is also qualified as a Notary Public and a Conveyancer.
46 years experience: Residential Property Developer – CEO & Chairman of Bellandia
Drew joined Bellandia in December 1974 as Quantity Surveyor / Estimator after graduating with a B.B.Sc (Building Management) from UCT. His career within the firm progressed with his appointment to the Board responsible for Construction in 1985, overall Operations in 1992 and was appointed as the Managing Director in 2001. Under his stewardship the company strengthened its position as one of the largest and most reputable residential developers in the Western Cape.In 2010 co-founded Bellandia Investments (Pty) Limited, as CEO of the new company comprising of much the same staff but with new shareholders. The intention of this new company was to specialize in the affordable residential home market.In 2012, Drew was appointed Chairman of Bellandia Investments. In 2014, the decision was taken by the Board and Shareholders that Bellandia Investments would withdraw from the market until such time that the Wescape project commenced.
37 years experience: Residential Development Manager Director of Bellandia
Andy joined Bellandia - Plot and Plan Division in 1980. In 1991, Andy was appointed as Project Manager and has since delivered over 25 residential and commercial projects and served on the Board of Directors as Projects Director since 1999.
Projects Director with experience in the construction and development industry. His long track record shows the successful and timeous delivery houses and apartments. A team player, Andy is comfortable running contracts with little assistance and handling the associated pressures of large scale developments. In 1991, Bellandia closed the construction arm of the company and became a property development company only. He was promoted to Project Manager and since managed both the civil engineering component and top-structure construction of over 25 different residential and commercial projects ranging from up-market exclusive apartment blocks to housing townships comprising over 300 erven. He also represented the company in arbitration and builder liquidation procedures that tend to arise out of the construction industry from time to time. He was also tasked with the completion of a few projects where the contractor has gone into liquidation prior to completion of the development.Andy was promoted to the Board of Directors for Bellandia late 1999 and responsible for all project management aspects of Bellandia’s developments including the following duties:
- Project feasibility input
- Compilation of the project specification
- Managing development design with architects
- Company acceptance officer for all sales contracts with the end users
- Appointment of all professionals
- Meeting all NHBRC requirements and enrolments
- T ender document
- Appointment of all contractors (JBCC)
- Contract programming
- Managing cash flow
- Running site meetings
- Agreeing certificate evaluation with contractors and, when required by the bank, the QS
- Submitting payment certificates to contractors
- Submitting bank draws
- Contract variation evaluation
- Quality control
- Client (end user) liaison
- Handover to clients
- Overseeing that all units are de snagged in terms of the contract
- Issue of all the various completion certificates as the Principle Agent
- Regular projects reports to the board and joint venture partnersIn 2010 he joined Bellandia Investments (Pty) Limited, as Projects Director, a new company comprising of much the same staff but with new shareholders. The intention of this new company was to specialize in the affordable residential home market. Andy’s oversight of this new strategy included:
- Assisting with obtaining funding from OMIGSA to co-develop this development with Old Mutual as joint venture partners
- Assisting in obtaining bank funding in order to install the civil and electrical services
- Managing the civil and electrical reticulation installation contracts
- Appointment of the architect to design the top structures
- Obtaining municipal approvals for the SDP’s
- Compiling and obtaining approval for the overall Home Owners Association constitution
- Compiling and obtaining approval for the development Architects guidelines
- Obtaining Section 31 (1) clearance to allow transfer of the first phase
- Drawing up tender documents for the first 150 units
- Tender evaluation competed and contract drawn up for signature
34 years experience: Project Manager, Business Leader & Strategist, Entrepreneur
Terrence is an authority in the field of development and project management. With a passion for the industry and its challenges, Terrence started his career as a consulting engineer over three decades ago. To date, Terrence has enjoyed a strong affiliation with a number of industry and academic institutions and was instrumental in developing targeted procurement strategies with provincial government in the 1990s. Terrence has in more recent times headed up a number of the region’s most prestigious developments including the Cape Town Convention Centre and a number of Airport Terminal upgrades at Cape Town International.
- NEW DOMESTIC ARRIVALS – CAPE TOWN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - Western Cape Airports Company South Africa Major Airport Terminal Upgrade and Expansion Project Management and Transformation / Empowerment Consultant Transformation Specification and Project Planning
- CAPE TOWN INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION CENTRE EXPANSION - Western Cape
Convention Centre Development Project Manager and Principal Agent Oversight role
- CAPE TOWN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OFFICE PARK EMPOWERMENT - Western Cape
Airports Company South Africa Commercial Building Transformation Consultant Transformation Contract Specifications, monitoring and validation
- VALKENBERG HOSPITAL REVITALISATION - Western Cape
Provincial Government of the Western Cape Healthcare Facility Project Manager and Principal Agent Client Liaison
- DISTRICT SIX BUSINESS PLAN AND PILOT PROJECT- Western Cape
District Six Beneficiary Trust Business Planning Principal Contracting Party Lead
- CAPE TOWN STATION 2030 MASTER PLAN AND FEASIBILITY STUDY- Western Cape
PRASA Business Planning Leader of Multidisciplinary Team Principal Agent
- CAPE TOWN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT CENTRAL TERMINAL - Western Cape
Airports Company South Africa Major Airport Terminal Upgrade Project Manager and Empowerment Consultant Principal Agent and Transformation / Empowerment Management
- CAPE TOWN FILM STUDIOS - Western Cape
Cape Town Film Studios Film Studio Complex Development Project Manager and Principal Agent Principal Agent
- NATIONAL ARCHIVES, Timbuktu, Mali
Office of the President / DBSA Historic Educational Building Project Principal Agent and Project Manager Principle Agent
- THE ICON BUILDING - Western Cape
Coessa Holdings Apartments and Mixed Use Development Manager Development Management and Principle Agent
- KLIPFONTEIN CORRIDOR - Western Cape
Provincial Government of the Western Cape Transport Planning Project and Programme Manager Project Leader
- CAPE TOWN INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION CENTRE - Western Cape
Convention Centre Development Lead Project Manager Project Leader
- CAPE TOWN INTERNATIONAL DEPARTURES TERMINAL - Western Cape
Airports Company South Africa Major Airport Terminal Upgrade Project Manager and Principal Agent Principle Agent
Dr. RUBEN RICHARDS
30 years experience: Thought Leader, Facilitator, Author, Professional Businessman
Ruben is a multi-skilled and widely travelled South African who was born, raised and once again lives in Cape Town. Over the years Ruben has accumulated a wealth of professional experience across a variety of disciplines in both the private and public sector.
He has held positions such as private sector CEO, Chairman of the Board, and also executive level public sector positions including Deputy Director-General (Scorpions), Executive Secretary (Truth and Reconciliation Commission). His academic experience includes appointments such as visiting Adjunct Professor (Wits University, School of Public and Development Management - P&DM).Ruben is a co-editor of communiTgrow’s book: 2 BILLION STRONG – A regenerative solution to building sustainable African cities 2012.
2017 - Present
- ADVISOR TO THE NATIONAL PEACE AND RECONCILIATION COMMISSION OF ZIMBABWE.
2012 – Present
- PEACE FACILITATOR & MEDIATOR between rival gangs and police in attempts to reduce the levels of violence and murder on the Cape Flats. This work is conducted through the Ruben Richards Foundation.
- CEO of CAPE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY.
2010/2011 & 2013
- UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM (UNDP) – Appointed by UNDP as a Democratic Governance Consultant carrying out assignments in Swaziland (2010/2011) and Ghana (2013).
- EUROPEAN UNION (EU) – Agricultural Secretariat; Appointed by EU to facilitate and moderate a series of multi stakeholder workshops in Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe on “Geographical Indications” and “Origin Marketing”. (7-18 October 2013).
- FACILITATOR - Anti Corruption Summit of the Western Cape Religious Leaders Forum held in Salt River, Cape Town (June 2012).
- CHAIRMAN AND MODERATOR - Cape Chamber of Commerce and Industry – Jobs Summit and signing of Accord between Business and Labour at a conference held at the CTICC, September 2011.
34 years experience: Facilitator, Author, Business Leader, Social Entrepreneur
Paul started his career in retail where he completed his studies in retail management. He later took the decision to study Theology where he attained a DipTh (Cum Laude) majoring in Developmental Psychology. He is currently sits on the board of a numerous companies where he adds leadership and strategic value.Paul along with Veronica Cronje set up One Million Strong, which is a NPO that focuses on raising the next generation of leaders, working in schools in a number of countries. More than ten thousand young people and over 500 teachers have attended these training programmes. Our ultimate goal is to raise one million next generation leaders globally.18 years ago Paul set up Kairos Projects a unique consulting practice that has been involved in strategic consulting on five continents in over 20 countries. He has authored numerous training manuals reaching in excess of 500,000 people. More recently Kairos Projects changed its name to Kairos Connect which is more descriptive of the work that Paul and his team are involved with.